Renault is developing a service enabling automatic and secure interaction and communication between cars and connected objects in homes
Smart-home connectivity company, Otodo, will secure the link between the vehicle and user's home.
The service will be available in all Renault cars which have Easy Link, including Zoe, Clio and Captur brands.
With the new service, users can now control various objects in their home directly from their vehicle's dashboard, as well as send instructions from home, using a smartphone or connected speaker, to connected Renault cars.
The system is set up from the smartphone app:
- Users select the objects they want to include in the available scenarios, and the instructions associated with each object
- The Leaving Home scenario puts their home to 'sleep,' (switching the thermostat to energy-saving mode, closing the shutters and turning off the lights, for example)
- The Arriving Home scenario wakes it up
Users then decide when they want the system to prompt them to activate the scenarios based on the distance between the vehicle and home.
This connectivity system is all-in-one. Users only need to OK one prompt on their vehicle's touchscreen to activate a scenario – which sends all the relevant instructions to their home's objects automatically and simultaneously.
"Cars need to blend into our digital lives," said Renault Marketing & Partnership head for Connected Cars & Services, Jean-François Labal
"With this service, we're offering our customers a trailblazing experience and a completely secure system to connect their home's connected objects to their vehicle.
"The interface to set it up is very intuitive and it comes with two advantages: it's automatic so it makes life simpler and it saves energy by switching lights and heating on and off as needed."
Otodo has been developing a technology platform that is able to remotely control a variety of home appliances in various countries since 2016. With the new application, Otodo's technology will also handle instructions sent directly from the car.
• Auto component fitment forecasts
• OEM & tier 1 profiles & factory finder
• Analysis of 30+ auto technologies & more